Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Waiting Game

Seems like, most days, we are waiting for something.
May be something big, or something small-ish, but waiting just the same.
In this instant-gratification world, that's a good and necessary lesson, still not an altogether easy one!


We are presently waiting to find out whether or not we get funding for K to have a helper in school. This year we did a family adventure, and experimented with the route of learning-at-home. It has been an amazing experience (another post, or several :), for another day), and especially lately, I've been experimenting with connecting K to our learning time as well.

In some ways, it has been a challenge to find something suitable for her.
In other ways, it has been a journey of discovery for us both and actually can be very rewarding.

A few lessons I've learned along the way....
1. Often I have to confront my often-unrealistic expectations and set them aside. It's true that we all learn at our own pace, and no where is that more true than when you are dealing with development delays. When I impose my own goals (or desires), frustration results for both of us. When I am willing to follow her lead, and present her with suitable and slightly challenging opportunities, I am often surprised at what happens.

2. I am not great with big messes! And it seems like most "tactile learning activities" are quite disastrously messy. I like to keep the water in the sink (as opposed to all over the walls and floors - outdoor water table season is my handiest friend!!). Finger painting is best done in the tub, with soap paints (and even then I am not a huge fan of those bathtub crayons!!). The new-to-me idea of Tot Trays is great --- but what about those who have difficulty with fine motor skills and find such activities problematic?

I am still on the hunt for workable ideas, though now that we are heading into spring and summer, I can take all these messy ideas outside for hours of fun!!! The biggest challenge for me has actually been overcoming guilt over not creating more opportunities for K to experiment. I am recognizing that some seasons are better suited for this than others - like summer (outdoors) vs. winter (indoors) - and seasons of development too - and until then we'll use strings of beads vs. individual ones (easier to clean up, not a choking hazard), and glue sticks and shreds of paper over paints!

3. Little bits of time are most helpful. I find it much more beneficial to break up the learning into smaller chunks of time. First a few (very very very simple) videos on shapes OR colors OR counting to 5. Then at the table we do a few activities that involve the same theme - colors OR shapes OR counting. Then we bring out the "big kid workbook" and let her choose a page and practice with a pencil and sometimes stickers (if I think of it!) for a while.

Seems to work for us.

What learning strategies have worked for you?
What developmental issue were you trying to address?
Any outside resources that you have found helpful?

No comments:

Post a Comment